Welp, so after a refreshing vacation, I completely and utterly fell off the blogging bandwagon. Oops.
Things have been…busy the month of June at Chez JJ. You might remember that I sold a companion novel to Wintersong last month (see: above photo), so I’ve been doing research for that, as well as having periodic crises of faith that I’ll be able to deliver.1
- Last month in my newsletter, I gave a sneak peek at the interior designs for Wintersong and now first pass pages bearing said designs have arrived! Seeing these in person is extra special for me because I contributed my own artwork as well as some hand-lettering for the book.
- With the arrival of first pass pages, it now means that ARCs are soon to follow. Cue my panic.
- It’s also my last chance to look over my book and make any (minor) changes. I’ve been reading it aloud to catch any typos and awkward phrasing and have gained a newfound appreciation for audiobook narrators because oh my goodness, dry mouth and throat.
- Not much else in writing news, aside from working on the Wintersong companion. It’s…going. It’s fine. It’s all fine.
- So I’ve discovered that Fitbit now tracks how many steps you take per hour, and the completionist in me cannot let a single hour go by without 250+ steps taken.2 So if gym-going is spotty due to other commitments I have outside the day job (the PubCrawl and Earth Kingdom Radio podcasts among them), at least I can reliably hit 10,000 steps a day…if I do a little pacing while reading first pass pages aloud to White-Harp and Goober Dog.
That’s all for this month! Hearing from me on the blog will probably be less frequent than Tumblr or Twitter (and even then, I’ve scaled those back as well) this summer, but who knows? Maybe I’ll surprise myself.