Psychic Roommate has started up her own yoga business, for which I designed this website! I’m so proud of her! She will be teaching classes all over the New York City area, as well as giving private and small group lessons, so if you’re interested, you should check out Long Time Sun Yoga.
Various and sundry bits unrelated to what I usually talk about.
Also, “Christopher Walken” as R2-D2 is possibly the greatest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.
Just an excuse to post this, really.
My friend T.S. made this motivational poster of me based on a conversation we were having, and yes, I said this exact thing verbatim. Also:
- WICKED COOL RILEY: When I was a teenager declaring my love there was a lot of mumbling and short, declarative sentences.
WICKED COOL RILEY: And idiotic grinning.
- JJ: I never declared love to anyone as a teenager.
JJ: I didn’t believe teenagers had the capacity to declare love.
JJ: Even when I was 16.
- WICKED COOL RILEY: I did, to one boyfriend, but only like, two months after he’d first said it to me.
WICKED COOL RILEY: And I can recognize now that what I felt wasn’t love, and I think I knew it then, too. But I couldn’t think of another word that encompassed what I felt.
WICKED COOL RILEY: Which was something along the lines of delusional obsession.
- JJ: HAHAHAHA. “I am delusionally obsessed with you.”
- WICKED COOL RILEY: I CARED about him a great deal, and that part was genuine. But I care in this mix of maternal and like, dog walker.
WICKED COOL RILEY: And was mostly just very swept up in the drama of it all.
- JJ: OMG. BEST DESCRIPTION EVER.
- WICKED COOL RILEY: IT’S TRUE THOUGH.
WICKED COOL RILEY: I CARED ABOUT JOE CLARK LIKE I WAS HIS DOG WALKER.
WICKED COOL RILEY: Which I pretty much was.
- JJ: I less than three you SO MUCH, Kelly Riley.
JJ: SO MUCH.
- WICKED COOL RILEY: Is this going on your blog?
- JJ: YOU BET IT IS.
When you grow up you, tend to get told that the world is the way it is and your life is just to live your life inside the world, try not to bash into the walls too much, try to have a nice family, have fun, save a little money. That’s a very limited life. Life can be much broader, once you discover one simple fact, and that is that everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you. And you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use. Once you learn that, you’ll never be the same again.Steve Jobs
This man was truly a visionary, and this quote tells me that Steve Jobs was as much an artist as he was a “tech guy”, and he showed us the beauty of design, which for him was an ethos as much as an aesthetic. It’s like how when physicists speak of the elegance of theories; […]
3. The black Power Ranger was black and the yellow Power Ranger was Asian because…we were so completely ahead of our time and beyond the capacity to even think in terms of something as inconsequential as race that… uh… I don’t know. Casting directors were racist in the nineties. I beg to differ; casting directors […]
Even back in 1993, Branagh’s casting of Denzel Washington as Don Pedro in Much Ado About Nothing caused nowhere near as much controversy his decision to put Keanu Reeves in it. Hilariously, I remember watching this adaptation when I was in 7th grade and not even blinking at the fact that Don Pedro was black, […]
My friend Allison emailed me this morning with the subject line “I’m concerned…” That hyphen in my last name is a double-edged sword, man. On one hand, it causes untold administrative problems. On the other, I can be DAMN WELL ASSURED that I’m most likely the only Sarah Jae-Jones in existence. (Because I must be […]
My vocabulary is apparently about 37,700 words large. I wonder if my score would be different if I had chosen English as my second language. It is, technically, but I do consider myself a native speaker of English.