I have a lot of movies I adore that I happily recommend to people, but three of my favourite movies of all time always have been putting on the brakes before getting the word out.
Thoughts and reflections on movies.
Last night I went to see Titanic in theatres.
Last night I went to a midnight viewing of the Hunger Games.
In a nostalgic mood (and because I’m either suffering from food poisoning or a monster has taken up residence in my stomach), I decided to rewatch some Disney films I loved as a child: Mary Poppins, 101 Dalmations, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks. It’s probably been about 20 years since I’ve last seen Bedknobs and Broomsticks […]
Katniss seems a bit winsome instead of hardened and cynical, I still hate whoever it is they cast as Gale but I approve of Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, and why is Haymitch sporting a blond wig? Nevertheless, this trailer is succeeding in getting me excited for this movie–I think they’ve got the visuals for the […]
First and foremost, you love yourself some books. Some people have porn, you have that scene where Beast reveals to Belle the library that he is now giving over to her, as he knows it’s what she would love more than anything in the world. No human being will ever romantically live up to you […]
My friend Allison IMed me today, saying she had run into Julie Andrews in the restroom, which naturally led us into discussing our favourite Julie Andrews movies, Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music.
- JJ: It’s so funny, because when I was younger, I had no idea how MEAN the Baroness was being to Maria. I was like, “Oh, she’s nice, helping her pick out a pretty dress!” Just goes to show how much a child doesn’t understand…
- ALLISON: yeah i definitely didn’t get the whole suffragette thing in mary poppins either
- JJ: …wow, I was a weird child. At six I knew what a suffragette was, but apparently had no concept of deceitful manipulation between women vying for the romantic affections of the same man.
- ALLISON: hahaha
- JJ: Now I have “Well done, sister suffragette!” stuck in my head.
- ALLISON: man i don’t even remember the actual song
- JJ: I don’t know if I could think of the lyrics off the top of my head, but I bet you if it were playing somewhere, I would know every word.
If you were on Twitter last night, you probably would have seen me live-tweet my watching of the 2003 version of Peter Pan with Jason Isaacs as Hook. I apparently blog about this movie a lot (see this review, and this review and this mention), and generally all within the same context: coming-of-age.
You all know of my inappropriate love of Daniel Radcliffe, yes? As well as my penchant for creepy gothic stories? Well, here is the trailer for a movie that has both these things! Therefore, I must conclude The Woman In Black was made with me in mind.
Yesterday we discussed the casting of Jennifer Lawrence in a role that could have gone to a person of color. Today I would like to direct your attention to something far worse: For those of you who don’t know, Akira was a cult film based on a manga about a post-apocalyptic, dystopian future society. They […]